Ylang Ylang Essential Oil Directions for Use
“I love the smell of this. It is very calming and pleasant...” - Ambrai101
Ylang Ylang oil is an exotic oil from a rare tropical flower. It has a number of uses that you’ll love:
- Ylang ylang has been used for a long time for its wonderful thick floral scent. In Indonesia, ylang ylang flower petals are often strewn on marriage beds, and it has deep associations with romance. Some people believe it is also an aphrodisiac. Try a few drops in your oil diffuser and you’ll feel like you’ve been transported to a tropical paradise.
- It doesn’t just have to be used in a diffuser. Try putting 5-10 drops in your bath for a relaxing experience, or mix a few drops in with an ounce of carrier oil and make a hair treatment out of it. Ylang ylang is one of the components in Chanel No. 5, so you may get a lot of attention!
- Speaking of hair, ylang ylang oil is also used to help strengthen and thicken hair, and it’s also very good for seborrhea and other skin conditions. Regular use will keep your skin and hair healthy and smelling great!
- Finally, ylang ylang oil is often used to help calm people down. It’s an antidepressive, nervine, and sedative oil. If you’re feeling sad or nervous, try some aromatherapy techniques and you’ll feel better fast.
Now that you know some of the benefits you will experience from ylang ylang oil... I bet you’d like to know how to get the best possible results from it...
How to Get the Best Results When Using Ylang Ylang Oil
“This is a floral scented oil that reminds me a bit of incense, and takes me back to my visit to Thailand. ” - L. Moller
- Ylang Ylang oil is a gentle oil. It does not have to be diluted before use, though it is always a good idea to test for skin sensitivities by putting a drop on your wrist before applying. It does have a powerful smell though, so dilution may be necessary to tone it down.
- Some people do report headaches or nausea when exposed to excessive amounts of ylang ylang oil or if they take ylang ylang for too long. Some people can get a headache just from sniffing the bottle directly. In these cases, use ylang ylang diluted and sparingly and see if the same reaction develops. If so, discontinue use of ylang ylang oil.
- The best ways to use ylang ylang are through an oil diffuser or by adding drops to a carrier oil and rubbing it on yourself. Common carrier oils include our AromaOils Rosehip Oil or AromaOils Castor Oil.
- Ylang Ylang Essential Oil has shown to work wonders on a variety of skin types, including oily and dry skin and everywhere in between! This oil naturally balances the complexion as it nourishes and hydrates the skin without leaving any greasy residue behind.
For oily skin it will better regulate the skin's sebum production while cutting down on shine and reducing acne. What you're left with is a Beautifully Balanced Skin Tone. For facial application it is best to dilute at a 4:1 ratio of Carrier to Ylang Ylang with one of AromaOils Carrier Oils like Rosehip or Castor Oil.
- If you are using ylang ylang oil or any other essential oil for a serious ailment, speak with your doctor before use. It is for external use only!
- Our Ylang Ylang Oil can be used to encourage new hair growth, reduce split ends, and to promote overall hair health. It will balance your scalp's natural oil production which will nourish the scalp, this helps your body naturally produce stronger, thicker, and healthier hair.
In addition to hair health it has been shown to have antimicrobial properties which can be used to help combat head lice, dandruff, and dry scalp. This provides a natural solution to the chemically-laden commercial shampoos that are out on the market.
For an incredible addition to your hair health or regrowth routine add a few drops of Ylang Ylang to a few drops of our AromaOils Emu Oil for a magnificent Hair Blend! See Recipe Below:
How to Use for Hair Growth and Scalp Health
- Place ½ tsp of our Emu Oil into the palms of your hands and rub together, then place a few drops of Ylang Ylang Oil and blend them together
- Apply the oil to your hair from the scalp and hair root all the way to the tips
- For longer hair you will need to use more oil, adjust accordingly after a few uses
- For the scalp, part your hair and place a drop of the oil blend there. Then move over ½ inch and part your hair again and place a drop of oil. Repeat this process until the entire scalp is covered.
- Massage the oil into your scalp gently, you don’t need to rub until it is absorbed as this will happen naturally after about 5 minutes
- Optional: apply the oil and wrap a towel around your head and let the oil set in for 15-30 minutes. Other have found benefits by placing a shower cap on your head to protect your pillowcase and bed sheets after application of the oil and leave it on overnight. Then wash your hair in the morning. This will provide the maximum benefit.
FAQ’s About Ylang Ylang Oil
Q: My skin is red/itchy/inflamed after using ylang ylang oil!
A: While sensitivities are rare, they can happen. Try dilution or discontinuing use.
Q: I get a headache/nausea from using ylang ylang.
A: This can be because you’ve got a sensitivity to it, you used too much of it, or you used it for long period. Cut down on your use and see if the condition improves.
Q: I read that ylang ylang oil can be used for internal ailments and can be ingested. Is this true?
A: While ylang ylang oil is generally considered to be safe according to the FDA, we do not recommend that any of our oils be used for internal purposes. Most home use for ylang ylang is for beautification and for helping hair.
Q: Why does your ylang ylang oil smell so different from other brands?
A: Ylang ylang is such a complex flower that there are several different stages of distillation that yield different oil qualities, much like roses. Most brands sold for therapeutic purposes, like ours, use a mixture of several different stages to get the broadest range of active components. Perfumers sometimes sell ylang ylang oil of only the higher grades. These tend to have a sweeter scent and cost more. We do hope that you enjoy our ylang ylang oil though!